Monday, May 25, 2009

Talentime


Date : 3rd April 2009

Cinema : MBO,Malacca

Movie : Talentime

Director : Yasmin Ahmad





I wanted to do the review for quite sometimes now, but there are too many things going on since that canceled supposed to be 1st date but it’s ok now that I remember I want to give all the applauses to the film and all the crews as they deserved it. Totally! But because of the invitation 2 days back to come to FINAS for the public screening (FREE) reminds me to how much I adore this film. As well as for certain Mahesh Jugal Kishore.hahaha:p



Ok, actually there are a pinch of irritated feeling blooming inside of me as this film doesn’t get its due financial wise! Compare to all those rubbish(Selamat Pagi Cinta, I’m not single,to name a few) who get box office title or at least get back the net revenue, its kind a pissed me off that Malaysian seems do not appreciate great Malaysian movie made by true Malaysian at heart. But putting that aside, it did received recognitions from international film festival and although some people say awards doesn’t make a difference (those are people who never get an award, that’s why!) but it does for me and I feel happy for them. Congrats.



It does fit my list of a perfect movie with its spontaneous element, the laid back sense of humor (SO MALAYSIAN!), the awesome line of actors, and mind blowing OST tracks. From 1 track to the other its growing slowly inside you.



O re piya has been 1 of my favourite track lately. Listening to it each time reminds me to the superb art by Yasmin Ahmad which is one of my all time top choice; Talentime. The great lyrics by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan (a well known Sufi singer as well as a poet) strike a chord to a lot of things actually be it about love, multi-cultural life, sacrifices we made in this life and boundaries we overcome as a human. It’s all been wrapped up beautifully in 1 hour and some minutes. And that summed up why I love this director. The thing I love about her works is that by doing so little she did so much actually!


So, I hope you will buy the DVD and watch it. Try to watch all of Yasmin’s works and you will understand why I think she is the most Malaysian director we have.



me,smitten by Mahesh :)

No comments: